Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Reupholstering & Drapes

I don't normally take on upholstery projects, such as recovering a couch.  Most of my home decor work consists of cushion recovering, pillow work, curtains & drapes.  Yet, as I was trying to see how I could make my workspace more pleasant for me to work in as well as my clients who arrive for fittings, I kept my eye open for a couch that would fit within the space we had.

In doing so, a friend provided us a love seat that needed some TLC, that both my husband and I decided would be worth the time and investment.  We were correct.

Spending time with my husband on a sewing project proved to be something that we both found to be rewarding.  Please keep in mind, that my husband did all the staple & pin removing, repaired all frame issues while utilizing his woodworking skills, re-stuffed the frame where needed, then added the selected fabric to the frame.

My sewing skills recovered the cushions& create the couch skirts for David to add to the finished frame.  I recovered a set of pillows that went with a chair we have now decided needs to be reupholstered as well.

The curtains that were made, are simple drapes made of a suede upholstery fabric.

Friends have asked if upholstery will be added to my services.  Personally, I will continue to recover cushions & pillows for customers as well as create curtains and drapes.  I will take on the small projects, such as ottoman's & stools.  But, I am not personally interested in large upholstery work, but I would open my schedule and work with my husband if he decides this is something he is interested in pursuing. 

Currently we have a chair that is now ready for his skills as well as a couch he is contemplating on working on for some friends.  Time will tell if this is something that will become a side job for him.

Would I do this again?  Spending time with my husband, working on something that requires patience, and attention to detail?  I most certainly would.

~ Putting Thread to Fabric ~

Laura
Davina Dawn Sewing Specialties
http://www.davinadawnsewing.com/
http://www.facebook.com/DavinaDawnSewingSpecialties

No comments:

Post a Comment